You may have heard our song, 'Tortoise'. You may have even seen the video. But today, in honour of the person that inspired this song, I would like to present 5 reasons that we should all aspire to be like the amazing Tortoise. Are you ready?
- He knows how to work hard. He is the epitome of persistence and determination. Some might say stubbornness, but stubbornness has that other side that means not giving up on important things. This is something we want to be.
- He doesn't worry about what everyone else thinks. He barely hears the catcalls from the sidelines. If he does hear, he pays them no mind. It doesn't matter in the slightest what anyone says or thinks about his efforts. It doesn't even factor in. Oh how I love that quality. Oh to not care about what others think. Isn't that such an admirable and freeing way to be?
- He doesn't get foiled by stumbling blocks in the road. These are mere occurrences for which to move through. Up, over, through...however. These are not worth worrying and fretting, just finding a way forward and then moving on. There is always a way, and the tortoise doesn't get discouraged about minor problems such as these.
- He keeps going. Long after everyone else has given up, is tired and sore, the tortoise keeps going. He doesn't stop just because the going got hard or he got tired. He takes a breath and pulls out his second wind and finds a fresh burst of energy. God I love that tortoise. How does he do it?
- He wins. He isn't fast, he isn't flashy, and he doesn't merit a whole lot of hoopla. He's not going to be the one with the fancy endorsement deal. But he f...ing wins. This is what it's all about. Steady, slow effort does win. Just keep on keeping on and we can win too.
I love the tortoise. He is my inspiration and I hope to emulate him in whatever ways I can. Here is the video link if you want a reminder of what we did with it. Yes, ok, silly, but the point behind it means everything.
Happy Tuesday yous.